Monday, June 15, 2015

Week #28 - New Hampshire - Corn Chowder Pizza



State:  New Hampshire

The state of New Hampshire is known for chowder soups.  I would imagine that comfort food in the winter is a must have and I do not use corn that often, because my wife is allergic to it.  I decided that this would be the challenge that I would use it and make her a traditional pizza.  The chowder turned out really good and reminds me of a Key West Chowder that Whole Foods sells.  I hope you like it and give it a try!  Let me know if you do!  




Ingredients Needed:

1 pizza crust
1/4 cup of Mozzerella cheese
1/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese

Chowder:
2 thick pieces of bacon
½ a small onion, finely chopped
½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
2-3 red potatoes cut into quarters
1 ½ cups corn kernels (I used frozen kernels defrosted)
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup whole milk



Chowder:

In a medium sized pot, brown the bacon pieces to release all of the fat.   Next, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon pieces.  Drain and save them for the pizza topping.  Sauté the onion and red pepper in the bacon fat.   Add in the potatoes and stir them around in the mixture, to ensure they get covered with the bacon fat.


Next, add the corn, broth, salt, and pepper. Please note that the bacon fat has a lot of salt, so be careful when adding it in.  Bring the chowder to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover.  Simmer until the potatoes are soft.  Puree 1/3 of the soup in a blender or food processor to make it more of a thicker consistency, but do not over puree it.  You want some of the vegetables to stay in the chowder.   Stir in the milk adjust the seasonings, returning to a boil.  Remove from heat and set aside.


Meat:
See section above on how to cook the bacon.  


Pizza:

Preheat oven at 450 degrees.  First, cook the crust until it turns a light brown or golden color, or for 7-10 minutes (See Above).  Next, take the chowder and add to the pizza.  Try to strain the chowder a little so the juice isn't flowing off of the sides of the pizza.  You don't want chowder boiling over onto your oven and smoking up your house.  I learned from experience in the past.  Make sure that chunks of potato and corn all over the slices.  Add the cheese and top with bacon pieces, or wait for the end if you over cooked the bacon.  Cook for 5 minutes or so, just enough to melt the cheese.  Pull from oven, set aside and allow to cool.  The chowder will be super hot, so don't burn yourself!  



Pairing:  Smutty Nose

New Hampshire has a good amount of breweries, but Smutty Nose is one of the most popular and you can buy it in Florida.  I went with the Oneofakind IPA, which was really tasty with the pizza.  You can also go with a porter to off balance the creamy taste.  A good wine would be something dry and oaky like a Chardonnay.  



Learning Moments:  

This challenge has me making more chowders than I ever have before and I really enjoy it.  I will save these recipes for those 4 cold nights in the winter.  :)   I learned that simplicity is sometimes the best thing.  I hope you try this one, because it was very tasty and I know you will enjoy it.  Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment